Join Our Volunteer Force
Volunteers are the driving force behind our mission, ensuring we have the assistance needed to offer all of the zoo's popular education programs and community events.
why should i volunteer at the alaska zoo?
- It is a personally rewarding experience!
- Volunteers make programs and events possible.
- You help to create a culture of caring about animals and the environment!
- You become part of our mission to educate the public while expanding your horizons.
- Opportunities are available for ages 15 and older only, no exceptions.
- Attend the New Volunteer Orientation.
- New volunteers are required to give 15 hours in the petting zoo and 20 hours total in the first two months of volunteering, prior to permanent admission into the program.
- Attend each zoo event held in the first two months of volunteering, as well as each monthly volunteer meeting.
- Shadow a Discovery Tour in the summer within the first two months.
- Once 20 hours are completed, you will receive a shirt and name tag, and become an official volunteer!
- Attend minimum of six volunteer meetings a year.
How do I get started
- Complete our Volunteer Application (PDF) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your application passes review, you will be contacted via email to attend a new volunteer orientation.
- Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee admittance into the volunteer program. Volunteers are admitted at the discretion of the Coordinator.
- Volunteers are encouraged to be independent, no parental supervision required at the zoo.
- New volunteer orientations are held during spring and summer months, February through September, usually on the last Saturday of each month.
Camp assistant, storyteller for programs, tour guide, hands-on program leader for events, petting zoo attendant, group exhibit cleaning, special event booths, cotton candy spinning for events, and monthly animal husbandry work. Other opportunities are added as needed by the zoo.